If a cookie is jam-packed with protein, fiber and antioxidants does it still count as a cookie? Heck yes it does! And today we’re featuring a new favorite find from our friends over at Greatist: the Dark Chocolate and Almond Protein Cookie.
This recipe has seven ingredients, makes five cookies and will help you fuel up while you’re working out! By trading traditional flour for the protein powder of your choice and some ground almonds, you’ll have a tasty and healthier treat on your hands. Another bonus? It only takes minutes to make!
We’re not saying you should eat a cookie after your FitStar workouts every day this week, we’re just saying that we might do that. Like all treats in life, moderation is the key so bake and enjoy mindfully!
1/4 cup pea protein powder (unflavored or vanilla)
3 tablespoons almond butter
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1/4 cup ground almonds
2 squares (20 grams) dark chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients together except dark chocolate.
3. Add dark chocolate. Taste dough for sweetness (add more sugar if necessary – the sweetness will vary depending on the kind and brand of protein powder you use).
4. Roll dough into small balls and flatten with fingers or a spoon onto a cookie cookie tray lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. (Cookies will be pretty crumbly at first, so it’s important to let them rest and stiffen.)
Makes five cookies.
Nutritional Info* (per cookie made with vanilla protein powder, unsweetened vanilla almond milk and sugar-free almond butter): Calories 290 | Fat 16g | Protein 19g | Carbs 22g | Sugar 14g
*Nutritional information is calculated by the MyFitnessPal Recipe Nutrition Calculator.
What’s your favorite post-workout snack? Tell us in the comments below!
– Team FitStar